This course aims at providing an explanation of the elements and processes involved in the urban drainage systems and a recommendation of appropriate application.
Deadline IHE application: 22 December 2016 - 23.59 (CET)
Upon completion, the participant should be able to:
1. Describe the purpose, need and importance of urban drainage and discuss the challenges of modern urban drainage. Describe different types of sewer systems and discuss design, construction, operation and maintenance aspects, conditions of applicability and
2. Describe the hydrological processes relevant to urban storm drainage and impacts of urbanization on hydrological processes and discuss basic concepts in catchment modelling. Describe basic concepts of fluid flow and discuss the principles, fundamentals and
3. Critically determine and analyse quantity and quality characteristics of stormwater and wastewaters originating from urban environments as a basis for the design, operation and maintenances of urban drainage system facilities
4. Describe type of data required and processing methods for urban drainage management and process and analyses spatial and temporal data, design standards and regulations and health safety for proper deign, simulation and operation of urban drainage and
5. Describe the inputs, outputs and functioning of urban drainage systems, explain the standard practice in designing urban drainage systems and develop simple drainage system designs
6. Explain the elements of an urban drainage system model, construct a simple model for analysis of hydraulics of a drainage system and interpret simple model results and use them for decision making in design, renewal and upgrading of urban drainage.