Students and practitioners from low- and middle-income countries
Do you want learn how to apply concepts of sustainable faecal sludge management (FSM) on a city-wide scale? This course starts with an overview of what faecal sludge is and an introduces you to the engineering fundamentals and required information for the design and selection of technologies. Sanitation solutions are prone to failure if an integrated planning approach that includes stakeholder involvement and the development of appropriate institutional, management and financial arrangements is not implemented. The course therefore dedicates a complete week to presenting the full picture, in addition to technology, that needs to be considered for sustainable solutions. It concludes with a focus on current research and innovations in technologies, to provide an understanding of the most up-to-date options.
- Understand the importance of faecal sludge management, what is currently lacking, and weak links in the service chain
- Understand the engineering fundamentals of faecal sludge management
- Understand the required information for the design and selection of technologies
- Know how to size and properly operate treatment technologies
- Analyse management and planning approaches that help ensure sustainable solutions.
- Know current research and innovations in technologies