IWA Young Water Professionals China Chapter marks 10 Year Anniversary
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the IWA Young Water Professionals (YWP) China Chapter, established in 2012. On 3 December 2022, IWA YWP China hosted a highly successful Annual Meeting 2022 to celebrate the 10th year anniversary, attracting more than 260 young water professionals from across the country!
IWA Executive Director Kalanithy Vairavamoorthy and Chair of the IWA YWP Steering Committee Jacob Kwasi Amengor intervened during the opening address to celebrate this exciting anniversary, while IWA President Tom Mollenkopf also congratulated the group on the notable milestones achieved.
The topics of annual meeting covered dual carbon goals and water, young water professionals’ development, and how to better integrate industry and university research.
Prof. Chao Wang and Prof. Hongqian Ren, academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Prof. Xiaochang Wang, IWA board member and distinguished fellow, delivered keynote speeches, while former Chairs of IWA YWP China, Prof. Bingcai Pan, Prof. Ruiping Liu, Prof. Zhiwei Wang and Prof. Sitong Liu, and former Vice-Chairs Prof. Rong Chen, Prof. Xiaohong Guan and Dean of JIEI, Song Gao held presentations during the event. Chair of IWA YWP China, Prof. Xiaoyuan Zhang introduced the ten-year development of IWA YWP China.
The IWA YWP China Chapter is one of the most active groups within IWA and has successfully grown from just 11 members in 2012 to more than 150 members today, gathering a broad spectrum of young practitioners and academics working in the Chinese water sector. The selected activities held in the past 10 years, listed below, highlight the successes and achievements of IWA YWP China to date:
- IWA YWP China Chapter Annual Meeting — our annual meeting has been successfully held 9 times so far, promoting communication, knowledge exchange and collaboration among members of the group.
- The Rising Star Award powered by Capital Eco-Pro Group initiated by the IWA China Secretariat in 2017 — 48 young water professionals have received this award in recognition of their outstanding contributions to water sector.
- YWP seminar series on campus — we have invited outstanding young water professionals to share their successful experiences and engage with young students and young environmental professionals in multiple universities
- Industry-academia cooperation — we have built communication and collaboration platforms for young water professionals in academia and industry, promoting closer integration of industry-university research
- International webinar on content sharing for the IWA World Water Congress & Exhibition 2022 — IWA YWP China co-organised the webinar series, attracting over 12000+ attendees.
During the 10th anniversary celebration and annual meeting, IWA YWP China announced the newly elected managing committee for 2022-2024. The new committee members are committed to providing a platform for knowledge exchange, collaboration and career development for young water professionals in the country.
2022-2024 IWA YWP China Managing committee
|Chair||Xiaoyuan Zhang, Tsinghua University|
|Vice Chair||Xiaoxin Cao, China Water Environment Group|
|Wenhai Chu, Tongji University|
|Qian Li, Xian University of Architecture and Technology|
|Huijie Lu, Zhejiang University|
|Managing Committee Member||Ran Cai, Capital Eco-Pro Group|
|Jiejie Chen, University of Science and Technology of China|
|Juan Chen, Hohai University|
|Yi Chen, Chongqing University|
|Haoyi Cheng, Harbin Institute of Technology|
|Yanyan Jia, Sun Yat-sen University|
|Hongyu Jiang, Beijing Enterprises Water Group|
|Wen Liu, Peking university|
|Baiwen Ma, Research Center for Eco-Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences|
|Xiaolin Zhang, Nanjing University|