Registration for this Training is open to all Delegates registered to the World Water Congress with a focus on managers of water services, policy-makers and regulators of the water sector.
Well into the 21st century, the challenges for water services (population growth, increasing water demand, climate change, energy restrictions…) require efficient water services more than ever. Obtaining a clear picture of the performance level, and the possible paths for improvement remain one of the key tools that utility managers may use to face these challenges. Developing and implementing targets to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals will also rely on assessment, and monitoring of key performance indicators (the SDG targets).
08:30 – 10:00
– Overview of a few key concepts in management
– The IWA framework for performance assessment
– The IWA systems of performance indicators for water supply and wastewater services
– Practical case
10:00 – 10:30 Coffee Break
10:30 – 12:00 Benchmarking based on the IWA Framework. Special focus in the analysis of results.
– From performance assessment to performance improvement
– The IWA Benchmarking framework
– Analyzing comparative performance data
– Success stories
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
13:00 – 15:30 ): Practical application of the analysis of results with Sigma free software, the official software of the IWA PI system.
– Practical data filtering, clustering and analysis with Sigma
15:30 – 16:00 Coffee Break
16:00 – 17:00 Reflection wrap-up and closing
Throughout the course, the student will learn to develop, implement and manage performance assessment systems applied to urban water services through the IWA Framework of performance indicators (Since 2000 IWA is the International Reference on this topic).. The details of the IWA Benchmarking framework will also be covered.
The training will include concept presentations and applied group dynamics to allow participants to understand and apply the fundamental principles of performance assessment and improvement following the IWA methodology.
After the course, you will be able to:
• develop a performance assessment (PA) system for urban water services.
• adequate their PA system to the needs and limitations of the case of application.
• analyse the results from PA systems using Sigma, a free software.
• cluster utilities into different groups according to their context.