The course requires an academic approach, but no previous experience. The projects can be completed by both novices and advanced learners. One thing is certain. Both groups will learn a lot from the experience.
In this project-centered course, you will learn everything you need to research and present an effective and persuasive position paper or policy advice. We recommend you sign up for a certificate as this course is on premium grading and you will only enjoy the full benefit of the project if you can join in with the assignments. In addition this course contains the exciting opportunity to research and analyze historical decisionmaking, international relations, business cases and battles in an effort to truly understand constructing a convincing argument.
• Frame a starting position for your own research
• Use search engines to locate materials required for your advice
• Explore ‘academic’ data-bases
• Annotate your sources correctly
• Target your research for statistical data
• Choose a visualisation for your statistical data
• Construct an argument in a logical manner
• Build up the logic in each paragraph
• Conduct a SWOT analysis
• Conduct a Risk Analysis
• Present the materials in a position paper
• Convert the position paper to a policy advice
• Recognise the policy-making hierarchy and shaping the advice accordingly
• Write a powerful and effective PowerPoint presentation
• Place your project in the ‘real world’ context of the policy-cycle
• And … Discover a great, great deal about your chosen topic.