– Understand methods used by HEC-RAS software in modelling channel & flood plain storage
– Learn about unsteady flow and sediment transport analyses
– Undertake hands-on HEC-RAS modelling exercises with full instruction
– Know how to consult with modellers & engage with management regarding HEC-RAS models
– Know when it is appropriate to build an expensive model and when back-of-envelope will do
– Recognise the “point of diminishing return” in a model construction and implementation
– Learn troubleshooting and computational optimisation techniques
– Learn how to scope model development and review model results provided by others
There will be ample opportunity to discuss issues that course participants have encountered in professional practice.
All courses include lectures and workshops with hands-on case studies.
Using the latest version of HEC-RAS, this week-long training includes TWO courses covering basic, intermediate and advanced levels across both 1D and 2D.
HEC-RAS is recognised as an industry standard hydraulic modelling program that is widely used throughout the world.
The TWO courses run back-to-back through the week, enabling attendees to Register for either the 1D, 2D or both courses. The 2D course will assume a basic understanding of 1D.
This training is offered in association with Floodplain Management Australia, Engineers Australia the Australian Hydrographers Association and the Australian Water Association. Members of EA, FMA, AHA, AWA receive a 10% Discount.
This training will use the latest Version 5.0 of HEC-RAS, a globally-respected water modelling package, available for free download from the US Army Corps of Engineers, who author and support this software. The new version includes two-dimensional floodplain modelling, unsteady sediment transport, bank erosion, water quality, and the RAS Mapper GIS interface.
We will also be looking at key strategic improvements in the latest version of HEC-RAS including:
* Faster computation speed
* Ability to pre-process all 1D elements in RAS Mapper without GEO-RAS.
* Additional hydraulic structure options
* Variable computational time step
* RAS Mapper enhancements
* Internal boundary conditions
* 2D polygon mesh refinement
* Interface Bug Fixes