This course is aimed at professionals (Master, PhD or equivalent experience) in wastewater treatment and mathematical modelling with a basic working knowledge of the two other disciplines. The course is primarily aimed at those already employed in industry who wish to up-date their theoretical knowledge and practical insight in this field.
During the last years many advances have matured in wastewater treatment both in terms of processes and mathematical modelling approaches. For a new generation of new scientists and engineers entering/working in the wastewater treatment field, the quantity, complexity and diversity of these new developments can be overwhelming.
This fourth edition of the Advanced Course on Innovative wastewater treatment and mathematical modelling will provide a comprehensive overview and a discussion platform for recent advances and trends currently under development in the context of wastewater treatment. The course is organized in four days and has eminent experts among the lecturers that will share their experiences.
The content of this course includes:
– Fundamentals of wastewater treatments
– Membrane bioreactors: key elements
– Moving bed biofilm reactors
– Hybrid biofilm/activated sludge systems (IFAS)
– Fundamentals of mathematical modelling for wastewater treatment
– The Activated sludge models (ASM)
– Calibration, sensitivity analysis and calibration protocols for ASMs
– Instrumentation, Control and Automation (ICA): fundamentals
After the course participants will be able to
– apply critical thinking and analytical skills to interpreting scientific data sets
– demonstrate written, visual, and/or oral presentation skills to communicate scientific knowledge
– acquire and synthesize scientific information from a variety of sources
– apply techniques and instrumentation to solve problems
Participants are going to acquire the knowledge and ability to understand features of wastewater; advanced processes operations (e.g., MBR, IFAS, BNR-MBR etc.) for water treatment; mathematical model principles and basic knowledge for understanding modelling project/activities. They will also enhance ther ability to pin down the best mitigation measures strategies and intervention for wastewater treatment plant upgrading